Friday, December 6, 2013

DIY Shea Butter Mixture



The key to natural hair is MOISTURE!  Natural hair dries out easily and needs products in it to keep it moisturized.  One simple way to do that is by keeping a leave in conditioner in it.  To seal in that moisture you need some type of oil.  I remember the days of using "grease" (hair grease) in my hair for many relaxed years and it always leaving my hair as its namesake...greasy!  Us naturals do not have or like "greasy" hair.  So we use natural oils to seal in the moisture without leaving grease stains on the couch (Coming To America Scene).  I live by coconut oil, but like to change it up.  Also, my daughter has a thicker texture hair than mine and need some extra moisture, so I decided to try shea butter.  Instead of me boring you with all the benefits of shea butter for natural hair click here for more info from one of my favorite natural hair gurus "Curly Nikki".


Ingredients I used:

4 tbsp Spectrum Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
100% Grapeseed Oil (add as much as you want)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (add as much as you want)
5oz 100% Natural African Shea Butter
1 drop of 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil
(I also added a few drops of Carol's Daughter Ecstasy Dry Oil Mist for a better smell. Add what you like)

I use my nutribullet to add all the ingredients up to mix.  You can use a hand mixer as well.  Using the nutribullet will liquidfy the mixture, which I like, but if you want it to be thicker just put in the fridge (an hour or so) until you get your desired consistency.


You can store your mixture in small mason jars or I just re-use empty product containers.  These products are all easy to find:

Coconut Oil, Grapeseed Oil, and EVOO:  Walmart cooking oil isle, Commissary, or any health food store
Shea Butter:  My neighbor bought mine from a beauty supply store, but you can order it on Amazon as well
Tea Tree Oil: I got mine from the Commissary, but you can get it at any health food store
CD's Dry Oil Mist: I ordered mine online, but any store that carries Carol's Daughter's products

All products were less than $8 (except for the Carol's Daughter product...go figure!)


I apply the mixture to my hair after I wash it by massaging it in my scalp and applying some to my ends.  You can definitely apply it after you put in your leave in conditioner.  I don't apply a lot because heavier products weigh my hair down.  I use it in my daughter's protective styles and her hair stays very moisturized and it holds her braid outs and twist outs better (mine as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment