Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Consult #1



How did I even come to the decision to take the plunge and actually think of making my dream a reality?  It was always in the back of my mind of something I wanted to do, but never thought I would actually do it.  After years of trying to lose baby weight, my husband and I both were at our whit's end on how to motivate me to be consistent and do what I knew to do to get the weight off.  He suggested that if I make progress and get the results that I want, then I could reward myself with getting my boobs done.  I mean who wants to have new boobs with a mommy tummy?  Not I said the....um was it the cat?  So I also kept this thought in the back of my mind to motivate me.  Hubby went on to deploy and I completely forgot about boobs.  I kept in my mind that I finally had a timeline to work towards.  I had nine months to get in shape.  I was so focused that I didn't even realize that I was losing weight and toning up until I sent hubby a side by side before and after picture of my tummy.  He then brought up, "So do you want to get your boobs done soon?" I couldn't believe it and really had to think about actually doing it.  I talked to my friend who had hers done the previous year and began to do my own research.  Weeks later I worked up the nerve to make my free consult appointment.

My friend, who is a mother of three, also had the same boob issues as I did.  She had researched the top three Plastic Surgery Board Certified Surgeons in our area and gave me their info.  I initially wanted to just go to the guy she used, but she encouraged me to do like she did and check out all three and make my own decision.  I was still thinking well if it ain't broke then don't fix it!  Meaning if her guy worked for her, why not use him?

I went to her guy as my first consult.  I was a ball of nerves going into the office.  My mind got a little at ease remembering the lovely receptionist on the phone that booked my appointment.  I already was fond of the office's customer service.  The office was so calming, yet very boutiquey with the choice of decor.  I loved it instantly.  I sat there giddy texting my cousins and my friends that I was nervous and could not believe I, the little old country girl, was sitting in a plastic surgeon's office.  Come on, only famous and really bold people get plastic surgery done!  I felt slightly proud of myself despite not doing anything but showing up and filling out paperwork.

It wasn't long before a tall beautiful woman called me to come back.  She was the patient advisor or something.  She took me into a tiny examining room and told me a little bit about the surgeon and herself.  The surgeon had also performed her breast augmentation so she assured me I could ask her any questions.  She then instructed me to get undressed from the waste up, and to put on a little front opened gown.  Once I was ready, she came back in with the doctor.  My friend warned me that he was old as Moses, but I didn't mind one bit.  I felt at ease going into the consult that this man had been doing this for many years so he knew what he was doing.  He also was one of the surgeons in our area that worked on most of the breast cancer survivors.  I also didn't feel a bit of shame with him examining my bare chest.  I didn't like my husband looking at them, but had no problem with this old guy.

Before examining me, the doctor asked about my profession and we got into a pretty lengthy conversation about new mental health treatment techniques.  If you didn't know, my 9-5 is a mental health therapist.  He then was shocked to learn that I am in my 30's, and is married with children.  He thought I was much younger and said I looked great.  Well that got him kudos right there.  What really got him kudos is when he started to examine me and I asked about would it make a difference if I lost weight because I am still trying to lose baby weight, and he said that I didn't need to lose a pound!  He said something like, "you are a small girl and look great".  Well sir now we are going to be bff's because this coming from a doctor made me want to do a happy dance.  I used to be fat and once you are fat, you always have a fat mentality.

Anyway, the doctor went on to examine me and throw out numbers to the patient advisor lady.  I was floating on cloud 9 until the doctor asked what size I wanted to be.  I proudly reported large C, small D.  The doctor's facial expression brought my happiness to a screeching hault and politely burst my balloon.  He told me that he couldn't fill me to no bigger than a B, that he wasn't sure if I had enough skin up there to stretch much further than that.  He also said that because my boobs sagged I would have to have a nipple relocation as well.  It took everything in me not to scream, and shout, and let it all out!  He went over some drawings of boobs, and chest cavity, and sagging boobs, and un-sagging boobs, etc.  I was only half listening at this point because I was truly disappointed.  I went through the motions of saying good bye to him and then sitting down with the patient advisor to get info on the type of implants, costs, and any other questions I wanted to ask about her experience.

I didn't cry a little until I got into my car.  I called my cousin who was super excited for me and this appointment and told her what happened.  She discussed that the doctor probably knew what he was talking about due to him doing this for many years and that if he wanted to just make money he would have did whatever.  She confessed that she felt that a D is too big for my frame anyway and that I would still have full, round, perky boobs with a B.  I still wasn't sold and told her that I just want big boobs for once in my life!  I also didn't want to have to heal from a scar under my boob and one on my nipple.  That whole nipple relocation thing really freaked me out.

Later my hubby called to hear about the appt and I relayed the saddening details.  At this point I had already decided that it's not the end of the world if I don't get boobs.  If I am going to get boobs I want to get sizable ones, and if I can't get at least a C, then I don't want to go through all that.  My husband agreed with me, but suggested I go see the other doctors my friend recommended.  He made a good point that this doctor was probably just old and set in his ways.  He seems conservative and his way is not necessarily the only way, and that you should always get a second opinion.  So a few weeks later, I worked up another nerve to go at this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment