Wednesday, August 26, 2015

More Back To School Lunch Ideas for Kids (No Sandwiches)

In the hustle and bustle of back to school time, the last thing we need to worry about is what to put in our kids' lunchboxes.  I have spent a lot of time thinking about this issue and have come up with some quick, easy, affordable, and mostly healthy lunch ideas.  I hope these ideas are able to save you at least a little bit of time and stress.


This may not look very appetizing, but any type of cold pasta salad is great to add to lunch to change things up a bit.  My kids love my Mom's recipe of macaroni salad.  We just use whole wheat elbow noodles, eggs, relish, onions (add whatever diced vegetables you like), ham or turkey, shredded cheese, and light miracle whip.  You can choose whatever pasta salad your child prefers and put it in a thermos to keep it cold.  I use a thermos that I can store in the freezer at night, and put the pasta salad in it in the morning to keep it cold for lunchtime.  I like to add raw veggies and crackers with this.



I usually meal prep for my husband and I a big fruit salad every week.  My daughter is also a fan.  I like to prepare hers in a cute small mason jar with some whip cream on top.  Sometimes we add granola and Greek vanilla yogurt.  This dish is not only super healthy, but super cute and delicious too!  My son is not a big fruit eater so he isn't a fan.


Here is an example of my homemade lunchables.  I have mentioned before that I hate buying the ready made lunchables in the store.  I do give in to those when I'm having a Mommy moment and just don't feel like having to think about lunch anymore.  Those times are few and far in between because I think my lunchables taste better and are quite cute.  The kids liked that I wrapped turkey around blocks of cheese and secured them with toothpicks.  You can also do this easily with string cheese without having to cut anything.


Soup and salad is always another great option.  My kids like tomato soup.  I use the thermos to keep it warm.  In the morning I pour boiling hot water in the thermos and let it sit in there for five minutes or so.  Then I warm up the soup until it is boiling hot as well.  I pour out the water and quickly pour in the soup to keep it warm for lunch.  I add a salad and fruit.

Check out my previous blog post for how I organize myself to quickly create these lunches.  Comment below ideas you use for your kids that you have found helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment