Monday, August 24, 2015

Back To School Lunch Ideas for Kids

Back to school is upon us.  As parents we have scrambled around to tackle the infamous million dollar school supply list, got the kids fresh new outfits and kicks, and made sure to tame their manes all so that they can make the best first day of school impression.  The last thing we want to think about is what to put in their lunchboxes. Especially if you have picky eaters like I do.  I mean what kids don't like sandwiches for lunch?  My kids, that's who!  Considering my kids will be entering 4th and 1st grades this year, I have agonized over the lunchbox issue for years.  I have racked my brains on what to feed them, and I refuse to pay for lunch daily.  After awhile and getting their feedback, I finally got this lunch thing down to a science.  Over the next few posts I will share with you different ideas for kids' lunches.  I will warn you that my options are not super clean, organic, or super healthy, but they are quick, easy, mostly healthy, and kid approved.



I like to first make a list of ideas of all the different types of foods I can put in their lunchboxes for their lunch and snack.  I make a list of possible entrees and sides.  I always put in their lunchbox one entree with two sides and an extra snack.  All the sides that I list can go either way as sides or snacks.  Making a list gives me a good idea of options to be able to change it up.

Possible Entrees:
Sandwiches
PBJ
Turkey/Ham Rollups
Wraps
Salad
Soup
Chicken Nuggets

Possible Snacks/Sides:
Raw Veggies with Ranch
Fruit
Yogurt
Fruit Snacks
Fruit Salad
Nuts

My actual list is very long because I try to list everything I can possibly think of.  I go back to the list when I get ideas off Pinterest and other blogs.  I keep this list stored in the kitchen.  Once my list is ready, I can go shopping.  I like to shop in bulk for lunch items so that I am not running out of them quickly.  Above I started with their drinks.  In addition to taking their water bottles to school, I also back a milk or juice box.  The ones shown are some of our favorites.


Cheezits, crackers, fruit snacks, etc count as sides and snacks.  I like to get an assortment of each.  Pictured above are some of my kids' favorites, but we also like the organic rope fruit snacks, and the Motts fruit snacks.



These are a few more of our favorites.  I love the small apples, oranges, and bananas for kids.  I found these at Wal-Mart.  I try to always include one or two fruits and vegetables in their lunches.


Here is a sample of putting everything all together.  They are pictured Hers and His.  As you can see, both kids do not have the exact same lunch.  I mean that would just be too simple for me if they both liked the same things right!  So of course having to make different foods is also a struggle.


For my little Georgee he is fine with a sandwich...once in a blue moon.  He prefers Cheezits and he likes bananas and yogurt raisins.  Notice the Ninja Turtle sticker?  That is for him to be able to distinguish his snack for class from his actual lunch.  Otherwise he would eat everything in his lunchbox at lunch and look at his teacher like, "Mommy didn't pack me a snack".


For my Gracee, she prefers blackberries, a pbj, and occasionally will eat the Cheezits.  Also in the picture is the Odwalla kids bars.  She really likes those as well.  Hers has a sticker on it for a snack as well.  She can usually tell which is her snack, but she likes the stickers anyway.


These are examples of my homemade lunchables.  I hate spending money on the store bought lunchables (unless I'm in a lazy Mommy bind), so I try to make my own.  Also, I have found that my kids prefer to eat lunch meat plain instead of as sandwiches.


Here is another rare day that the kids allowed me to send sandwiches.  I try to throw those in once every other week.

I hope these ideas help to get you started.  I will also note that I pack their lunches with an ice pack.  They also have small thermos that will keep the contents in it hot or cold.  I will have more posts with those later.  Stay tuned to more lunch ideas and comment below any ideas you have found helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment